Monday, January 23, 2012

Gong Xi Fa Cai -- Happy Chinese New Year


One of my favorite parts of teaching is covering units about other cultures.  During the next couple of weeks we are learning about China to celebrate Chinese New Year.  For today I'm sharing a crafty creation that you can make -  a red money envelope.  I tried printing mine with the red coloring and wasn't a huge fan of my printer's skills (note to self - NEVER buy another Kodak printer).  So, I used my cut out version and made a template for plain red paper (which I would feed through my printer and use the black and white template, but my printer can't seem to understand any paper color other than white.  One more reason for the above note to self).  However, I loved the worn look that the coins had so I was pretty happy with the way those printed.  In any case, I'm sharing with you my designed envelope and you are free to print it as it or use it for a template if you like.  It will print much brighter with a good printer (I know this because I printed similar things with my Lexmark a few years ago and they were gorgeous).

While researching Chinese New Year we found out that two is considered a lucky number and gifts come in twos.  I would be adding an uber cute wrapped orange with this (that I found through Pintrest - my new obsession), but Doodle Bug doesn't care for oranges - even if they are part of the symbolism of the holiday. 

So, instead we'll stick with the paper envelope and the paper coins.  We'll be doing more fun things for Chinese New Year so come back and visit for more ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment